Get all the great flavor of huevos rancheros-the Southwestern breakfast favorite-without all the fat and calories. A spicy, high-protein way to start out your day.
Courtesy TeamBeachbody – Get support and tools for real results including more awesome recipes like this one!
4 large eggs
4 egg whites
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 scallions, chopped
1 plum tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp. chopped, fresh cilantro
Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
4 six-inch fat-free flour tortillas (choose whole wheat if available)
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray and set over medium-high heat.
- Add the bell pepper and cook until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Add the scallions and tomato; saute until softened, about 1 minute. Transfer the vegetables to a plate.
- Beat the eggs, egg whites, salt and pepper sauce together in a medium bowl.
- Spray the skillet with more nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the egg mixture and cook, stirring as needed, until the eggs are scrambled but not dry.
- Remove from heat and gently toss teh eggs with the sauteed vegetables.
- Heat the tortillas according to the package directions.
- Fill the tortillas by spooning 1/4 of the egg-vegetable mixture along the bottom edge of each tortilla; sprinkle with some cheese and cilantro.
- Roll up the tortillas tightly, then cut them in half and serve. (4 servings)
Serving Size: 1 roll-up
Fat Total: 11g
Saturated Fat: 3.5g
Fiber: 3g (more if using whole wheat tortilla)